Electronic Zapatismo // Zapatistas: The Recombinant Movie (www.ctheory.com/)(Montreal)

Expandir mensajes
  • Red ANAHUAK Net
    Mensaje 1 de 1 , 3 feb 1999
    Ver origen
    • 0 Archivo adjunto
      Two articles:
      Electronic Zapatismo & Zapatistas: The Recombinant Movie
      By Ricardo Dominguez
      http://www.ctheory.com

      If you have come here to help me,
      You are wasting your time...
      But if you have come because
      Your liberation is bound up with mine,
      Then let us work together.
      - Aboriginal Woman
      This is not a cry in the wilderness,
      but a hypothesis about possibilities.
      - Harry Cleaver
      Zapatismo has infected the political body of Mexico's "perfect dictatorship"
      since January 1, 1994. This polyspatial movement for a radical democracy
      based
      on the Mayan legacies of dialogue ripped into the electronic fabric of The
      War
      Machine, not as cyberwar - but as a virtual action for real peace for the
      real
      communities of Chiapas. As of September 1997, reports of the Mexican
      military
      training and arming paramilitary groups with the intent of moving the
      "low-intensity" war to higher level began to circulate among the Zapatista
      Network. It took the massacres at Acteal to focus the world on something
      that
      was already known - the constant tragedy of late-capital. As manifestations
      took
      place around the world in remembrance of those who died on January 1 and
      2nd,
      the Mexican military, with the full support of the PRI goverment, began to
      move
      to the next stage of the war against peace. As the West stumbled about in
      celebration of a new year - the first report reached out across the net and
      slapped us awake once more with the vicious and brutal reality of the
      neoliberal
      agenda.
      Dispatch from the Mountains of the Mexican Southeast
      Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos (alias Speedy Gonzales)
      Ladies and Gentlemen:
      Here is a letter for the protagonists of January 12th. We're still here and
      "nothing's new," we're still being chased in this new extermination campaign
      which began with Acteal and now disguises itself as "indiscriminate
      disarmament".
      It doesn't fail to amaze us how immobile the federal Legislative and
      Judicial
      powers are before the actions of an Army General, Jose Gomez Salazar, who
      has
      decided to carry out a coup d'etat. Over and above the laws of the Union of
      the
      Congress, he constitutes himself as judge, pursues Zapatistas and metes out
      blame and punishment to whomever he believes to be responsible. While he
      continues to violate the law for dialogue, the Cocopa doesn't get it (and
      takes
      things with great c-a-a-a-lm), and the new governor of the system repeats
      that
      same style of using many words to say nothing, which is so like the PRI
      politicians.
      As for the rest, it's understandable why they haven't yet managed to disarm
      the
      paramilitaries. All the soldiers are too busy trying to disarm us.
      Anyway, it's a habit, the government says one thing, and the Army does
      another.
      Vale. Health and may the new massacre promised by "Peace and Justice" not
      take
      the "institutions of the Republic" by surprise.
      P.S. WHICH ADDS ITSELF TO THE IMPROMPTU SIDEWALK INTERVIEWS - The EZLN
      agrees
      with the call made by the Justice Secretary to a so-called Sebastian Guillen
      so
      that he contribute to the efforts for peace in Chiapas. Yes, he should
      contribute (where ever he is), and we think he should discuss it accompanied
      by
      some nice stuffed crabs, or some grilled steak a la tampiquena.
      P.S.S. WHICH PROVIDES TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY -
      We
      are seriously considering adding ourselves to the demand for "indiscriminate
      disarmament". I mean, so that the paramilitaries can be disarmed, because
      all
      the little soldiers are hell-bent on disarming us. If there are any left
      over,
      it would be good to send them to "Peace and Justice". They say they need a
      haircut and their kitchen appliances fixed. The ones from the "Red Mask"
      don't
      want a haircut (for obvious reasons) but they need their teeth fixed. The
      ones
      from "MIRA" clamor for sex education classes and the "Chinchulines" demand
      candies and little toys.
      Don't send us any barbers or dentists. Better yet (and so said General
      Morelos)
      send us a few little bombs because we are very bored by so many airplanes,
      helicopters and tanks.
      Anyway they look at it, they will never finish us nor will they shut us up.
      Yepa, yepa, yepa! Andale, andale! Yepa, yepa, yepa!
      By the way, when Zedillo finishes arranging his cabinet for the year 2000,
      tell
      him that Rojas' employee, the deputy Samuel Sanchez (the commander of the
      group
      of criminals called "Peace and Justice") has already warned he will bloody
      his
      territory. Please let general Gomez Salazar know that the story about the
      EZLN
      and it's "goal" has already been used in 1994 and again in 1995. He should
      think
      up something new, no?
      P.S. ANOTHER ONE - The sea says that beyond us joining the march on the
      12th, we
      should tell you that you should hurry up and catch us because we began to
      march
      since the beginning of this year and we have a speedy pace.
      P.S. WHICH RETURNS TO THE MANIA OF TELLING STORIES AT DAWN - The Sup Speedy
      Gonzalez searches for Rosita, excuse me, the sea, or Rosita, anyway, it's
      the
      same thing, to tell her the story of... the story of the lime with an
      identity
      crisis.
      There was once a lime who was in anguish. "I am neither lemon nor orange",
      it
      told itself and worried a great deal as it hung from the tree. And it looked
      and
      looked at the oranges on the tree and the lemons too, and was still
      anguished
      because it belonged nowhere. Then Saul and Andulio arrived and cut the lime
      off
      the tree and began to play soccer with it as the ball. "I am cured!" yelled
      the
      ex-lime as Andulio dribbled to Saul and kicked it towards the enemy goal,
      which
      was of course, the chicken coop. The yell of "go-o-o-o-al" awakened a little
      pig
      who, thinking it was a chick, slept on a roost of the chicken coop. Tan-tan.
      (Moral of the story: the closet has more than one door.)
      Rosita ignored Speedy, and only said "that story is sillier than the other
      one".
      Oh well.
      P.S. THE COLLABORATOR - In order to collaborate with the coup d'etat which
      the
      general Jose Gomez Salazar acts out in the Mexican Southeast, we send now
      another list of those involved (foreigners, no less) directly in the armed
      movement of the transgressors of the law. As proof of their participation we
      offer the books they wrote, found in some of the camps of "those who will
      not
      conform":
      Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, William Shakespeare, Euripides, Socrates (via
      Plato), and Homer.
      Investigate them!
      Once again. El Sup. (Yepa, yepa, yepa! Andale, andale, andale! Yepa, yepa,
      yepa!)
      Part 2
      Zapatista Army of National Liberation Mexico. January of 1998. To national
      and
      international society: Brothers and Sisters.
      The Zapatista Army of National Liberation salutes the national and global
      mobilization which demands justice and an end to the war in Mexico, which
      took
      place on January 12th. We salute all those who demonstrate in Mexico and on
      the
      five continents as they mobilize against the massacre of Acteal, the
      re-initiation of the persecution of the Zapatistas in the mountains of the
      Mexican Southeast, and of the government's failure to fulfill the San Andres
      Agreements.
      Men, women, children, and elderly, of all social classes, of all races, of
      diverse languages, of different nations all over the world, have joined
      their
      voices to say Ya Basta! To the extermination of the Indian peoples of
      Mexico.
      The best thoughts of Mexico and of the world have mobilized in order to
      demand a
      peaceful solution to indigenous demands, to demand justice for the genocide
      of
      Acteal, and to stop the persecution of the Zapatistas. January 12th is a day
      of
      celebration for us, a day of encounter.
      On this day we remember and salute the fact that we have found one another.
      Our
      aspirations are the same: democracy, liberty and justice for everyone. Our
      paths
      are different, but within us is the same commitment to a life enlightened
      and
      accompanied by those three fundamental demands.
      This January 12th, while in Mexico and different parts of the world justice
      and
      respect for indigenous Mexicans is demanded, the government continues with
      its
      strategy of lies, treason and assassinations.
      On these days, the ambassadors of the government are stationed throughout
      the
      world to sell lies and hide massacres. But at this point, it is a secret to
      no
      one that on December 22nd the Mexican government ordered the assassination
      of 45
      children, women and men in the indigenous community of Acteal. Death squads,
      armed and trained and directed by the government attacked a group of
      indigenous
      people, killed the wounded, opened the wombs of pregnant women, and
      annihilated
      everything they found in their path.
      For those dead children, for those women who were dismembered like animals,
      for
      those men who were assassinated we ask for justice. All of us are clear and
      in
      agreement about this demand, in Mexico and in the world. Justice for the
      dead,
      punishment for the true assassins.
      Nevertheless, the Justice Ministry of the Republic does all it can to hide
      what
      has happened, to distract public attention, to make injustice the crown
      placed
      upon the tombs of the dead of Acteal.
      Acteal is symbolic of a form of government: the form which plays at peace
      and
      makes war; the form which pretends to dialogue as it prepares reason; the
      form
      which promises a peaceful solution and assassinates the innocent. The
      government
      planned the massacre. The government prepared and equipped the assassins.
      The
      government arrived later in order to erase the evidence. The government
      bends
      over backwards now to present the massacre as a minor conflict, the product
      of
      internal conflicts and a "war among the poor" to which it is extraneous. But
      since two years ago, the Mexican federal government began a
      counterinsurgency
      strategy to arm, train and direct paramilitary bands with the goal of having
      them confront Zapatista support bases.
      Acteal is the symbol of a war of extermination, the true government response
      the just demands of the indigenous peoples of Mexico. The "extermination of
      the
      Zapatista bases" is the slogan of the criminal bands of the government.
      Their
      actions have provoked the displacement of thousands of indigenous families,
      Zapatistas and non-Zapatistas from their communities. These refugees are to
      surrender to hunger and death, with the complicity of the government who
      first
      persecutes and assassinates them, and then offers them humanitarian aid with
      the
      singular goal of whitewashing its image in the exterior. To the global
      demands
      for justice the government responds as though nothing had happened. The
      massacre
      remains behind and becomes, through the magic of the government lie, one
      more
      act of inter-family violence, bureaucrats are fired and replaced by others
      who
      will guarantee the impunity of those who have been removed. And the Mexican
      government complains that after having ordered them persecuted and killed,
      the
      indigenous rebels behave with dignity and do not accept the alms with which
      they
      seek to buy their silence, their pardon, and their oblivion.
      But Acteal is also the symbol of the struggle of two efforts; that of the
      government who seeks the victory of amnesia and impunity; and that of civil
      society which seeks true justice and refuses to forget the worst crime of
      the
      past 30 years. And the struggle for memory and justice is the struggle for a
      peace with dignity.
      You are united with us in this struggle.
      Massacres, persecutions, lies, and simulations will not replace a true
      solution.

      Peace and justice will not come from the government.
      They will come from civil society, from its initiatives, from its
      mobilizations.

      To civil society, to you, we speak today.
      To your demand for justice we add our voice.
      To your demand for an end to the war and the persecution we add our voice.
      To your demand for a peace with justice we add our voice.
      And together with all of you we demand the fulfillment of the San Andres
      Agreements
      The Zapatista Army of National Liberation salutes the mobilizations of this
      January 12th which are occurring in Mexico and other parts of the world.
      Together with you, we demand...
      Democracy! Liberty! Justice!

      Ricardo Dominguez is Managing Editor of Thingnyc, a member of the New York
      Committee for Democracy in Mexico, and a former member of Critical Art
      Ensemble.

      Translated by Cecilia Rodriguez, NCDLJ.

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@

      Zapatistas: The Recombinant Movie
      Ricardo Dominguez
      A people mute and brave are better than a people cultured and abject.
      - Maria Arias (Maria Pistolas) at Madero's grave, August 1914
      I'm thinking of making a movie about all this.
      - Oliver Stone
      Black Screen.
      (A Virus voice speaks between spasms of white noise.)
      Virus: "Recombinant politics calls for recombinant strains of disturbance at
      all
      levels. As screenal narratives become viral narratives - a new matrix of
      critical interventions are beginning to emerge. A process of polyspatial
      democratic movements that use methods of electronic civil disobedience to
      counter the nomadic bunkers of pan-capitalism."
      The words "Rape Culture" appear on the black screen.
      Cut to zoom-shoot.
      (Jungle trail in Chiapas near Lake Pojaj, it is a hot night on October 26,
      1995,
      in the distance one can hear the screams of a woman being raped. It is
      companera
      Cecilia Rodriguez, a United States citizen and the legal representative of
      the
      EZLN in the US. Four laughing men surround her and kick her, one of them
      leans
      down and whispers in her ear.)
      Man: "You already know how things are in Chiapas right? Shut up then, shut
      up,
      do you understand? Or you know what will happen to you..."
      (On a jeep radio in the distance we hear an announcement that Journalist
      Fernando Yanez Munoz, who was arrested on October 24, 1995 and accused of
      being
      a high ranking member of the EZLN, has been released. Yanez, who was part of
      the
      Mexican rebel movement in the 1970s can be heard speaking.)
      Yanez: "I have no links to the EZLN, though it would be an honour for me."
      Cut.
      (A reporter in front of the Mexican consulate in California on October 25,
      1995
      interviews John Ross, who published an account of the Chiapas action,
      "Rebellion
      From the Roots".)
      John Ross: "The Neo-liberal agenda manifested itself, again, as a shaky prop
      that always lives in fear of the truth. The Zapatistas, without confirming
      or
      denying that Yanez was one of them, stated that the arrest was in bad faith
      and
      threatened to end the peace talks. This caused the peso and Mexican stock
      market
      to tumble. On October 25, 1995, the Dow dropped 50 points in the US. The day
      after Yanez came out of prison the 'bolsa' and peso came up for air."
      "This is the most prolonged absence that Zedillo has dared to entertain
      since he
      took office. The arrest of Yanez may not be a stupid blunder by the local
      police; but that someone is out to derail the peace talks and embarrass
      Zedillo.
      The possibility of a military coup cannot be ignored."
      Cut.
      (November 4, 1995 a communique from the Indigenous Revolutionary Clandestine
      Committee arrives via the WEB and is read by a group of people in the cold
      basement of ABC NO RIO in New York. The camera pans the group.)
      Group Member: "Third. The evil government is incapable of guaranteeing the
      security of any person in Chiapas despite maintaining dozens of thousands of
      soldiers, whose only goal is to assure the impunity of the powerful.
      "Fourth. In view of the fact that the law of the evil government does not do
      anything to address these situations, the EZLN has initiated the work of
      finding
      and taking prisoners those responsible for this and other similar
      aggressions
      against women in Chiapas in order to judge them according to Zapatista laws.
      "Fifth. The EZLN adds its voice and its actions to that of the thousands of
      human beings who carry forward the demand for justice in all cases of
      aggression
      against women. We call upon all the men and women who, in Mexico and the
      world,
      struggle for democracy, liberty, and justice, in order that we mobilize with
      regard to this fundamental demand for all human beings: respect for women."
      Cut to black screen.
      (A Virus voiceover as the words "Speed Democracies" appear.)
      Virus: "The disturbance of electronic bunkers with excess communication is
      an
      important act of radical emergence. The dissolution of informatic-economies
      will
      allow cells of electronic opposition-circuits to create speed-democracies.
      The
      Winter Palace is not being stormed, it is being dematerialized, as a state
      in
      ruins and the lines of flight lead towards liberated terminals. The
      Zapatistas
      accelerate the new possibilities of fractal politics by displacing the
      signature-effect of Domain blockage.
      "Spaces of information must be disassembled and reconstituted as replicating
      networks of decolonization through the naming of free civic digital spaces.
      These free electronic spaces will be constructed of excessive communication
      and
      unlimited counter-memories - and no longer as part of the
      hyperamnesiac-hierarchies of information. As a memo from the Rand
      corporation
      stated: 'institutions can be defeated by networks, and it may take networks
      counter networks.' To become effective speed-democracies, we must continue
      puncture the smooth-state by whatever means necessary."
      Cut to Cecilia Rodriguez.
      (She is speaking to a large gathering of people in front of the Mexican
      Consulate in El Paso, Texas under a clear blue sky on November 12, 1995.)
      Cecilia: "I know three Tzeltal women were raped at a military checkpoint,
      and
      three nurses were raped and almost killed at the site of the peace talks,
      San
      Andres Larraninzer. How many other women whose stories we do not know have
      suffered through this hell? Women who have never said anything publicly
      because
      they fear for their lives.
      "I have decided to make a public statement because I hope my experience will
      illustrate the brutal nature of the low-intensity war being waged in
      Chiapas. I
      am one more piece of evidence of the use of sexual violence as a weapon
      specifically directed against women in this war.
      "I ask for justice - not from the governments of the United States and
      Mexico
      because they are complicit in this war - but from the people of Mexico and
      the
      United States. Look into my suffering and multiply that by hundreds of
      women,
      men and children whose voices you do not seem to hear, who suffer on a daily
      basis the humiliation of a low-intensity war which intends to suffocate the
      very
      human aspirations for democracy, liberty and justice."
      Fade to Black.
      (The words "Rituals of Chaos" appear on the black screen.)
      Cut to a beetle crawling over the remains of a dead body.
      (As the beetle moves in and out of the corpse, the Virus speaks.)
      Virus: "Fractal politics crashes the imaginary of total State command and
      control with a counter-net dissolution which disrupts and erodes the
      hierarchies
      around which institutions are normally designed. It diffuses and
      redistributes
      power to dispersed cells who communicate, consult, coordinate, and operate
      on a
      polyspatial basis. Between real events outside of the macro-panoptic flow of
      data and excess information - counterhegemonic disturbances spread. Netwar
      is
      the most effective form of both defensive and offensive decentralized
      activism."

      "Counter Intelligence Programs, COINTELPRO, are being reconfigured as
      anti-network forces whose aim is to neutralize nodes that promote
      participation
      in engendering an 'excess of democracy' on both a local global level. States
      in
      the last few years have began to map out possible methods to limit digital
      autonomy: Italy, an Anti-Crime group shut down 'BITS Against the Empire,' a
      node
      on Cybernet and Fidonet; United Kingdom, The Terminal Boredom (BBS) was
      raided
      by police; Germany, the State attempts to stop access to RADIKALL, small
      anti-State electronic journal; United States, several new bills (S390 and
      HR896)
      with bipartisan backing are before Congress that would give full legal force
      COINTELPRO actions against electro-political networks; Senators Exon (D-NE)
      and
      Gordon (R-WA) are pushing a bill (S314) that would hold internet providers
      criminally liable for the activities of their subscribers."
      Cut to a hand picking up the beetle.
      (As the beetle crawls over a series of brown hands the voice of
      Subcomandante
      Insurgente Marcos is heard.)
      Marcos: "In the mirror, chaos is a reflection of the logical order and the
      logical order a reflection of chaos.
      "I don't remember the name of the movie (maybe the masters, Siskel and
      Ebert,
      remember) but I do remember that the main actor was Peter Fonda. I remember
      the
      plot clearly. It was about a group of brilliant Harvard students who raped a
      woman. She accused them in a public hearing and they responded that she was
      prostitute. Their lawyer defended them by using their grades and good
      families.
      They're found innocent. The woman commits suicide. As adults, the 'juniors'
      look
      for stronger emotions and they dedicate themselves to hunting down
      vacationing
      couples on weekends... after the standard rape, the 'juniors' free the
      couple in
      the countryside and hunt them down with shotguns.
      "I don't remember the ending, but it's one of those where justice is done,
      where
      Hollywood resolves on the screen what in reality often goes unpunished.
      "Today, the real 'juniors' have found that they have a country to play with.
      One
      of them is at Los Pinos (the Mexican White House) and the other in Bucareli
      (The
      Governor's house in Chiapas), they get tired of playing DOOM and instead
      play at
      hunting down 'bad guys' in a game of real war in the countryside. They give
      their prey time to escape, and move their game pieces to surround them and
      make
      the game more interesting. But, the 'juniors' find themselves in a quandary,
      because the game grows longer and they can't catch the 'bad guys.' Then the
      US
      Ambassador, the lawyer from the first scene, tries to save them again: 'It
      was
      just a game' he says, 'the dead are not dead, the war is not a war, the
      displaced are not displaced, we always wanted to talk and we only sent
      thousands
      of soldiers to tell the 'bad guys' that we wanted to talk.' A pathetic
      argument
      for an 'efficient' Harvard government.
      "Meanwhile, reality approaches... and the mass media tries to impose itself
      on
      reality. Forgetfulness begins to populate the government discourse; they
      forget
      the fall of the stock market, the devaluation, the 'negotiations' of San
      Andres
      as a window dressing to hide the true indigenous politics of neoliberalism,
      instability, jealousy and distrust, ungovernability and uncertainty. They
      forget
      the principal objective, according to Machiavelli; they've had no results,
      they've not been 'efficient'.
      "In the mirror, chaos is a reflection of logical order and the logical order
      reflection of chaos."
      Cut to black.
      ("Fourth Declaration of the Lacandona Jungle" appears on the screen.)
      Fade into a painting of Zapata. The camera pulls back. We see President
      Zedillo
      at his desk.
      ("JANUARY 1, 1996. 12:01 A.M." appears on the screen. He stares into the air
      as
      he taps his fingers and as he listens to the Reader.)
      Reader: "The flower of the world will not die. The masked face which today
      has a
      name may die, but the word which came from the depth of history and the
      earth
      can no longer be cut by the ears with its cannons.
      (Zedillo opens his top desk drawer and finds a remote control. He aims the
      remote at the camera and the sound of the opening chords of a Dynasty rerun
      are
      heard. He reclines back and smiles.)
      "The arrogant wish to extinguish a rebellion which they mistakenly believe
      began
      in the dawn of 1994. But the rebellion which now has a dark face and an
      indigenous language was not born today. It spoke before with other languages
      and
      in other lands. This rebellion against injustice spoke in many mountains and
      many histories. It has already spoken in nahuatl, paipai, kiliwa, cucapa,
      otomi,
      mazahua, maltatzinca, ocuilteco, zapoteco, solteco, chatino, papabuco,
      mixteco,
      cucateco, triqui, amuzzgo, mazateco, chocho, ixcaateco, hauve, tlapaneco,
      totonaca, tepehua, populuca, mixe, zoque, huasteco, lacandon, mayo, chol,
      tzeltal, tzotzil, tojolabal, mame, teco, ixil, aguacateco, motocintleco,
      chicomucelteco.
      (Zedillo reaches down and brings up a half eaten bag of Fritos and begins to
      shove them into his mouth.)
      "Ignoring Article 39 of the Constitution which it swore to uphold on
      December 1,
      1994, the supreme government reduced the Mexican Federal Army to the role of
      an
      army of occupation. It gave it the task of salvaging the organized crime
      which
      has become government... Meanwhile, the true loss of national sovereignty
      was
      concretized in the secret pacts and public economic cabinet with the owers
      of
      money and foreign governments. Today, as thousands of federal soldiers
      harass
      and provoke a people armed with wooden guns and the word of dignity, the
      high
      officials finish selling off the wealth of the great Mexican Nation and
      destroy
      the little that is left.
      "Three new initiatives were launched by the Zapatistas as responses to the
      success of the Plebiscite For Peace and Democracy. An initiative for the
      international arena expresses itself in a call to carry out an
      intercontinental
      dialogue in opposition to neoliberalism. The two other initiatives are on a
      national character: the formation of civic committees of dialogue whose base
      is
      the discussion of the major national problems and which are the seeds of a
      non-partisan political force; and the construction of the new Aguascalientes
      as
      places for encounters between civil society and Zapatismo.
      (An American Express Card commercial comes on and Zedillo begins to channel
      surf.)
      "Today, with the heart of Emiliano Zapata and having heard the voice of all
      our
      brothers and sisters, we call upon the people of Mexico to participate in a
      new
      stage of the struggle for national liberation and the construction of a new
      nation, through this Fourth Declaration of the Lacandona Jungle in which we
      call
      upon all honest men and women to participate in the new national political
      force
      which is born today: the Zapatista Front of National Liberation... a civil
      and
      nonviolent organization, independent and democratic, Mexican and national...
      and
      we extend an invitation to participate in it to the factory workers of the
      Republic, to the laborers of the countryside and of the cities, to the
      indigenous peoples, to the colonos, to teachers and students, to the honest
      artists and intellectuals, to responsible priests and nuns, and to all the
      Mexican people who do not seek power, but rather democracy, liberty, and
      justice
      for ourselves... We are here. We do not surrender. Zapata is alive, and in
      spite
      of everything, the struggle continues."
      (Zedillo ends his drift with the sound of Clinton saying that he supports
      the
      implementation of the Clipper Chip 2 project in order to protect the
      people.)
      Cut to a Mexican mural with the words "The Hallucinogenic-State" in red is
      scrawled across it with a spray can.
      A slow pan across the entire work.
      Virus (voiceover): "Pan-capitalism is a crack war of narco-colonialism which
      enframes the neo-liberal relaxation of exchange between the PRI party and
      nomadic investment communities. The War-on-Drugs is the main NAFTA artery of
      exchange for the Colombian cartels of coke and heroin into the urban
      markets.
      Drug-enforcement-economies must command and control body-rights and
      land-rights
      in Chiapas - this foundational drive of the hallucinogenic-State."
      Cut to black and white images of Oliver Stone's _Nixon_ in fast forward.
      (We hear John Tesh on Entertainment Tonight speaking, it's March 25, 1996.)
      John Tesh (voiceover): "Mr. Stone will be meeting with Mexican rebels
      instead of
      in Hollywood for the Oscars. Oliver Stone said he was thinking of making a
      film
      about the Rebels as soon as he finishes his next project. He also would like
      meet Subcomandante Marcos. Edward James Olmos is also making a pilgrimage,
      so is
      Lady Danielle Mitterrand, and the rebels have just turned down a Benetton
      modeling contract. Mary, who knew that electronic disturbances could be so
      much
      fun!"
      Cut to a still image of the Wall Street skyline.
      (We hear bombs, gunfire, and the screams of people in the distance.)
      Virus (voiceover): "Can the hallucinogenic-State be resisted
      hallucinogenically?
      Is electronic activism a mirroring of State-logic as a tool for developing
      better counter-insurgency networks?"
      Cut to a map of Southern Mexico, the words "Popular Revolutionary Army
      Attacks"
      stamped on it.
      (We hear Mr. Arreolo, a taxi diver in Hautuloc, Mexico, on August 30, 1996.)
      Arreolo (voiceover): "They commandeered my taxi, but it doesn't bother me -
      these people want to change the government, right? Well, I say I'm all for
      that!
      But, I'm afraid that the police will accuse me of collaboration. I don't
      want
      trouble with anybody, not with the masked ones, and not with the police. I
      just
      want to live here quietly."
      Cut to a photograph of soldier standing and saluting, with the words
      "Mexicans
      across the political spectrum say the rebels pose no real threat" stamped on
      it.

      Dr. Estevez (voiceover): "They seem to have more money and are more heavily
      armed than in Chiapas. They came fast and vanished even faster into the the
      mountains of Oaxaca. The fighters have the feet of peasants who work
      barefoot,
      but they also had good boots - American maybe. They spoke like Marxists, not
      like Zapatistas - but, they do have the backing of the coastal peasants.
      When I
      was stitching the foot of one of the rebels, a group of peasants brought
      them a
      case of soft drinks, mostly Cokes."
      Cut to a can of Coke with the words "We often see people dressed in
      military-style clothing here" stamped on it.
      Gonzalo Montoya (voiceover): "As the police commander in Tacambaro I know
      these
      armed men who attacked the military convoy on August 30, 1996 were narcotic
      traffickers. They all attacked military outpost in Guerrero and Chiapas. At
      this
      moment we are arresting individuals on suspicion of being members of the
      group
      and also anyone who part of above-ground peasant and worker organizations we
      have identified as fronts for the Popular Liberation Army. We are going to
      try
      to make a distinction between the Zapatistas and this new group - if we
      can."
      Cut to a computer screen on which the words "A call for a marcha virtual"
      appear.
      (We hear a Japanese woman read as subtitles in English scroll across the
      screen)

      Japanese Reader (voiceover): "Action Alert: October 7, 1996. The government
      of
      Mexico has taken a rigid stance against the Zapatista Delegation traveling
      the National Indigenous Congress, threatening punitive action if the
      Zapatistas
      leave Chiapas.
      "Mexican Civil Society has has called for a 'marcha virtual' to show
      international support for including the Zapatistas in national dialogues
      towards
      peaceful solutions to Mexico's crisis. Given the fact that members of the
      EZLN
      traveling to Mexico City are Mexican citizens, and are thus guaranteed by
      the
      Mexican Constitution the freedom to travel unencumbered anywhere in the
      Republic, and given the fact the Mexican government does not consider them
      criminals or terrorists, and that the San Andres Dialogue, and the
      agreements
      which govern it, although on hold, have not been broken, it is extremely
      important to pressure the Mexican Government. We are also asking that you
      forward this message to all lists, groups, and individuals liable to
      participate
      in the this march, in order to show that we in Cyberspace can mobilize to
      form
      'war of the Internet' (Gurria dixit) in the service of PEACE."
      Cut to a folded Mexican flag and a single fuschia rose. Beneath them the
      date:
      October 12,1996.
      (We hear about 2000 people screaming "the struggle continues".)
      Then on the top of the image the words "Tzotzil Woman Arrives" appear.
      William Means (voiceover): "Commandante Ramona walked out of the Lacandona
      and
      into the heart of Mexico City. The PRI government did not want this to
      happen,
      on October 8 they even threatened to arrest any Zapatista that attempted to
      leave the military cordon. Subcommadante Marcos said that, 'she is the most
      belligerent, aggressive and intransigent member of the Zapatista Army for
      National Liberation and before dying she wanted to speak to other indians."
      Juan Cuellar (voiceover): "I brought my daughter to the Zocalo to see this
      small
      fragile women demolish 500 years of enslavement. She is a bomb of
      tenderness.
      She is a bomb of patience. Beneath the ski-mask, my child's future. Long
      Live
      Ramona, Sweet Rebel!"
      Cut to a black screen. The word "Punctum" appears.
      Virus (voiceover): "Commandante Ramona is an event that punctures the bunker
      of
      containment as a trace of mourning empowering the ignored. She is a virtual
      line
      of flight that names the real condition of fractal politics - death or the
      invention of a new form of democracy. She is a virus for polyspatial systems
      of
      representation which can disturb the telematic force of pan-capitalism. Viva
      Ramona. (The) struggle continues."
      Fade to black.

      Ricardo Dominguez is part of the editorial collective of Blast5, Managing
      Editor
      of The Thingnyc, a member of the New York Committee for Democracy in Mexico,
      and
      a former member of Critical Art Ensemble.

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      Welcome to the ctheory mailing list!

      Here's the general information for the list,
      in case you don't already have it:

      CTHEORY THEORY, TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE

      * CTHEORY is an international journal of theory, technology
      * and culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews
      * in contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as
      * theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the mediascape.
      *
      * Editors: Arthur and Marilouise Kroker
      *
      * Editorial Board: Kathy Acker (San Francisco), Jean Baudrillard
      * (Paris), Bruce Sterling (Austin), R.U. Sirius (San Francisco),
      * Siegfried Zielinski (Koeln), Stelarc (Melbourne),
      * Geert Lovink (Amsterdam/Budapest), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San
      * Francisco), Stephen Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (New York),
      * David Cook (Toronto), William Leiss (Kingston),
      * Marie-Luise Angerer (Vienna), Hans Mohr (Howe Island),
      * Alberto Perez-Gomez (Montreal), Robert Adrian X (Vienna),
      * Deena Weinstein (Chicago), Michael Weinstein (Chicago),
      * Patrice Riemens (Amsterdam), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
      *
      * Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK), J. Peter Burgess
      * (Norway), Maurice Charland (Canada).
      *
      * Editorial Assistant: Michael Boyle
      * World Wide Web Editor: Carl Steadman
      * Multi-Media Editor: Steve Gibson
      *
      * CTHEORY includes:
      *
      * 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary theory.
      *
      * 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and culture.
      *
      * 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
      *
      * 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and writers.
      *
      * World Wide Web address:
      * http://www.ctheory.com/
      *
      * The disk (DOS/Mac) version of CTHEORY may be ordered directly
      * from: CTHEORY, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve, O.,
      * Montreal, Canada, H3G 1M8. Full text and microform versions
      * are available from UMI, Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Canadian
      * Periodical Index/Gale Canada, Toronto.
      *
      * Indexed in: International Political Science Abstracts/
      * Documentation politique international; Sociological
      * Abstract Inc.; Advance Bibliography of Contents: Political
      * Science and Government; Canadian Periodical Index;
      * Film and Literature Index.

      Please save this message for future reference. Thank you.

      Messages which you want to have distributed to the ctheory
      discussion list must be sent to the list's e-mail address:
      <ctheory@...>

      <<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>
      Centro Radiante Anahuak/ Planetary Activation Organization-PA'O/
      Grupos de Activaci�n Planetaria -GAP/ Operaci�n Planeta Amor -OPA
      LatinMex // Global Web of Light - Red Planetaria de Luz
      <<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>o<<o>>
      ~URL maui: http://www.paoweb.com ~Email: paomex@... ~RedLuz, lista
      correos en espa�ol: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/redluz ~UIN:
      13099466
      This info does not represent the official PA'O or Anahuak Center points of
      view. They neither supports nor condemns the content of this info. Each
      individual is encouraged to use his/her discernment regarding the validity
      af any info. To unsubscribe or subscribe to this information service please
      reply 'cancel' or 'subscribe' in the subject. Responda 'cancelar' o
      'suscribir' en el asunto para dejar de recibir o recibir este servicio
      informativo.
    Su mensaje se envió con éxito y se entregará al destinatario en breve.